CA Racing News
Breeders' Cup Festival to Kick Off November 1st
Tuesday, September 14th, 2021
Provided by Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
Breeders' Cup, one of Thoroughbred horse racing's most prestigious international events, announced today the lineup for the 2021 Breeders’ Cup Festival presented by PNC Bank. This week-long series of events and activations will run November 1-6, 2021, with events preceding and following the 38th annual horse racing World Championships which takes place on November 5-6, 2021, at the Del Mar racetrack. In partnership with Del Mar Village Association (DMVA) and sponsored by PNC Bank, the Festival will bring residents and visitors together to celebrate Breeders' Cup while supporting local businesses and engaging with the community.
“In addition to featuring the greatest horse racing in the world, Breeders’ Cup showcases the host city’s best local food, entertainment and culture. We’re excited to be back at Del Mar for a second time, and we look forward to offering our fans a rich selection of events and activities through this year's festival," says Drew Fleming, Breeders’ Cup President and CEO. "There are no better partners than PNC Bank and the Del Mar Village Association to help bring this festival to life and we hope to see residents of San Diego County and beyond enjoying our Championship races and festival events, all while supporting local businesses."
The Breeders' Cup Festival will run from Monday, November 1 to Saturday, November 6 and includes a variety of free and ticketed events. Confirmed event highlights are included below:
- Rood & Riddle Breeders’ Cup Post-Position Draw (Monday, November 1): The official post-position draw determines the starting gate positions (number) of each horse in each Breeders’ Cup World Championships race.
Location: Del Mar Racetrack (Paddock), 2260 Jimmy Durante, Del Mar
- Del Mar Village Live Music (Tuesday, November 2 - Sunday, November 7): Local musicians will perform throughout Downtown Del Mar Village.
Location: Del Mar Plaza Deck
- Fashionable Fillies Goes West Benefiting The Jockey Club Safety Net Foundation (Wednesday, November 3): A fundraiser in collaboration with Del Mar Village Stores & Boutiques will be held at the Del Mar Plaza and its surrounding shops from 3-5 p.m. For more information, tickets and sponsorships please visit Tinyurl.com/GoesWest2021
Location: Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar
- Edwin J. Gregson Foundation Gala (Wednesday, November 3): A celebration honoring champion trainer John Gosden will raise money to fund scholarships for children of backstretch employees. The event will take place at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar from 6-10 p.m. Visit www.gregsonfoundation.com or call (626) 447-2339 for more information. Please reserve seats early for this can’t-miss event, as seating is limited!
Location: 5300 Grand Del Mar Ct, San Diego, CA 92130
- DMTC Bing Crosby Season Opening Day VIP Viewing Party & Breeders' “Cup” of Beer & Whiskey Wednesday (Wednesday, November 3): In celebration of Del Mar's Bing Crosby Fall racing season Opening Day, Monarch Ocean Pub will hold a VIP viewing party from 12:30 – 5 p.m. and a barrel beer and whiskey tasting with small bites and live music from 6-9 p.m.
Location: Monarch Ocean Pub, 1555 Camino Del Mar Suite 322, Del Mar
- Festival Golf Tournament (Thursday, November 4): Highlighting one of the area’s most coveted golf courses, the Del Mar Country Club tournament will host up to 100 guests for a day of friendly competition.
Location: Del Mar Country Club, 6001 Clubhouse Dr, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067
- DMVA Breeders’ Cup VIP Welcome Party (Thursday, November 4): DMVA will host a Del Mar Village Breeders' Cup kick-off event from 6-9 p.m. presented by PNC Bank with music, curated cocktails, ocean views and Del Mar flavors. Tickets are available by invite only.
Location: Monarch Ocean Pub, 1555 Camino Del Mar Suite 322, Del Mar
Additional events throughout the 2021 Breeders’ Cup Festival include a poker tournament, a Tacos & Tequila Tuesday in Del Mar Village and daily Viewing Parties at Del Mar Village businesses with special Breeders’ Cup cocktails. There will be fundraisers including an event in support of the Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA). Details for all events are being confirmed and will be available on the Breeders' Cup Festival website, www.BreedersCupFestival.com, in the coming weeks.
In 2017, Breeders’ Cup and the accompanying festival drew thousands to the San Diego region, setting the highest recorded economic impact for the championship event with $97 million in economic benefits. “We are grateful to Breeders' Cup for returning to Del Mar and the economic support it brings to our community," says Craig Dado, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club CMO. “This is a milestone event for our city and we look forward to repeating 2017's success."
Breeders’ Cup tickets are still available for purchase online at BreedersCup.com/Tickets or by calling the ticketing office at 1-877-849-4287. Fans are required to purchase tickets in advance of the event.
ABOUT BREEDERS’ CUP
The Breeders’ Cup administers the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Thoroughbred horse racing’s year-end Championships, as well as the Breeders’ Cup Challenge qualifying series, which provides automatic starting positions into the Championships races. The Breeders’ Cup is also a founding member of the Thoroughbred Safety Coalition, an organization composed of industry leaders committed to advancing safety measures in Thoroughbred racing and improving the well-being of equine and human athletes.
The 2021 Breeders’ Cup World Championships, consisting of 14 Championship races, is scheduled to be held on November 5-6 at Del Mar racetrack in Del Mar, California. The event will be televised live by the NBC Sports Group. Breeders’ Cup press releases appear on the Breeders’ Cup website, breederscup.com. You can also follow the Breeders’ Cup on social media.
About Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
Del Mar will present its 82nd year of racing with its Summer 2021 racing season running from July 16 - Labor Day, September 6. The Bing Crosby Fall Racing Season will run Wednesday, November 3 - Thanksgiving, November 28. The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will host the Breeders' Cup Horse Racing World Championships on November 5-6, 2021 for the second time in track history. For more information, call 858-755-1141 or visit www.dmtc.com. You can follow Del Mar on Instagram and Twitter at @delmarracing or on Facebook @DelMarRaces.
About Del Mar Village
Del Mar is a quaint seaside village 20 minutes north of San Diego on the Southern California Coastline and 2 minutes from the renowned Del Mar Racetrack. Del Mar is rich with beauty, amenities, and history. Since the legendary days of Hollywood's golden years, Del Mar has been the destination of choice for movie stars as well as those with a taste for fast horses, breathtaking vistas, stunning sandstone canyons, accessible pristine beaches, and award-winning cuisine with dazzling ocean views. The affluent and historic Del Mar Village offers a variety of unique mom and pop shops, spectacular ocean-view restaurants and charming beach-style hotels. For more information about the Del Mar Village, visit www.visitdelmarvillage.com.